Happy Chocolate Cake Day! I’ll bet you didn’t even know there was a such thing. According to the internet there are no shortage of food holidays (most of which are American) throughout the year.
What does this mean? It means that you don’t have to feel bad for missing “Chocolate Cake Day” because “Chocolate-Covered Cashew Truffle Day” is just around the corner (no, I am not kidding, it is on April 21st; there is even a “Lima Bean Respect Day” on April 20th). You can view a full list of American Food and Drink Holidays here.
Although I don’t live in the States, I thought it would be a shame not to celebrate Chocolate Cake Day, so I rose to the challenge and made these vegan chocolate cupcakes with chocolate avocado frosting.
Yes, you heard me correctly, avocado frosting. Just think of how much fun you can have asking people to guess the secret ingredient!
Left over frosting? Fear not my friends, it doubles as a guilt-free mousse! So grab a spoon and eat up!
Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes
Source: Adapted from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp chocolate extract*
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a muffin pan with paper cupcake liners
2. Whisk together milk and vinegar in a large bowl and set aside for a few minutes to curdle.
3. Add the sugar, oil, and extracts to the milk mixture and beat until foamy. In a separate bowl, sift together remaining ingredients and add to wet ingredients in 2 batches. Beat until no large lumps remain.
4. Pour into 12 cupcakes liners and bake 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely.
*note: chocolate extract is totally optional. Feel free to add an additional 1/2 tsp vanilla extract if you don’t keep chocolate extract in your cupboard.
Chocolate Avocado Frosting
Source: adapted from Giada De Laurentiis’ Chocolate-Avocado Mousse
- 2 very ripe avocados
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- pinch of salt
1. Melt the chocolate chips in a glass bowl over a bowl of boiling water.
2. Mix all ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Let chill in the fridge for 30 minutes. Decorate cupcakes!